Wednesday, December 10, 2008

An interesting dialog about wal mart pharmacy

Question: Has anyone else noticed the clerks at Wal-Mart pharmacy counting pills and putting them in Rx bottles , IS this legal for a NON pharmacist to dispense medicine , Let me know. The Wal-Mart on W. Waters ave Tampa,FL

Answers:
4. Answer What an interesting thread! I thought Pharmacy Technicians only received negative commentary in my part of the country! Now I see it's nationwide disrespect!!

Depending on State's pharmacy boards, pharmacy technicians must be registered [also referred to as 'licensed'], and can never counsel patients. In fact, some are nationally certified and must complete continuing education in order to maintain this national certification, and in some settings, to work at their specific pharmaceutical entity.

Papu, if you know of anyone who's been hospitalized and receive intravenous medicines, the chances are more than not likely that a pharmacy technician in an inpatient pharmacy setting] prepared the mixed IV solution.

Exactly how is the pharmacist supposed to count out pills, order stock, talk to the medicine governing entities, answer phones, receive prescriptions, take inventory, etc., etc., by her/himself WITHOUT aide from people licensed and qualified to work in a pharmacy setting?

3.Answers
Pharmacy techs are there to augment the duties of the pharmacist. I used to type in the scripts, count pills, make ointments, creams, some solutions, in addition to stocking the pharmacy, filing, etc. I haven't worked in a pharmacy in over 12 years, but I still deal with pharmacy matters as call center employee for the grocery chain I work for.

About the only thing I could not do, is give counseling which are the duties of the pharmacist.

2.AnswerNever noticed. I drop my prescription off & pick it up later. As long as it's the right medication & the right number of pills, doesn't bother me.

1. Answer
I can't speak for all Walmarts, but the one in our city only uses licensed professionals to dispense controlled or prescription meds.

No comments: