Friday, March 20, 2009

34-year educator receives A+ as Teacher of the Year

After 34 years in the same profession, the zest and annually renewed refreshing feeling remain the same with no hint of burnout.

That assessment of his career to date comes from Philip R. Delongchamp of Spencer, a teacher at Knox Trail Junior High School on Ash Street and the recipient of the 2008-2009 Teacher of the Year Award from the WalMart Supercenter in Leicester.

"I give of myself to my students," Mr. Delongchamp said. "I want them to know I'm here to help them find their gift to the world. I don't care what subject you teach - that's just your vehicle to reach the students."

He has taught for the past 11 years in Spencer, where he was born and raised, but his early career in education was in Catholic schools in Connecticut.


He practice-taught under the supervision of a teacher in Spencer in 1974-75 and then returned to his hometown in 1997. Knox Trail was his first experience in a public school, one that coincidentally is located next to his parents' home.

Mr. Delongchamp said there is no real difference when comparing a Catholic school education with one in public schools because "children are children are children."

"I see each child as a gift, and one thing I've done since I started teaching in 1974 is I've kept a record of every single student's birthday. On that day I pray for them and I wish them a positive thought. It's my commitment to them. I always see this profession as a vocation for me."

Mr. Delongchamp teaches ancient civilization to seventh-graders at Knox Trail.

School Superintendent Ralph E. Hicks said his grandchildren have had Mr. Delongchamp as a teacher.

"Phil is an exemplary teacher," he said. "If you ask the kids who their favorite teacher is, most of them are going to say Mr. Delongchamp. He just gives 125 percent."

Being able to see students "get it" and see what education is all about is a constant thrill, according to Mr. Delongchamp.

Earlier in his life, he joined the Augustinians of the Assumption, the Catholic brotherhood that founded Assumption College in Worcester, and later had to choose between continuing in the brotherhood or leaving to care for his parents.

He wanted to stay in the brotherhood and serve as a teacher, but he chose his family obligations. "I could not sacrifice family," Mr. Delongchamp said. "They sacrificed so much for me that I could not abandon them."

Instead, he taught religion and French in Catholic schools in Connecticut because language teachers were not in great demand around here at the time.

The thrill of teaching has never left him. "Every year it's such a new beginning," he said. "Every year there's something new. The children, they're the ones who bring their gift into the subject matter.

"I tell them on the first day of school that I'm your servant. I'm here to serve you.'"

Mr. Delongchamp said he was caught by surprise when informed in October of the WalMart Teacher of the Year award.

"I'm a person who does not like to be in the limelight," he said. "I could have hidden myself under the desk when this happened. I was overwhelmed."

For years, WalMart stores across the country have recognized teachers and donated checks for $1,000 to the teachers' schools. Nominations for the award, according to Mr. Delongchamp, come from students or parents who send letters to Wal-Mart.

No comments: