Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Prescription Drug Prices: CVS Pharmacy or WalMart?

It can be compare

I visit the Columbia City WalMart almost weekly, and I thought that I might be able to save five or ten dollars on my prescriptions. After talking to CVS Pharmacy, I called Wal-Mart pharmacy, and I expected to find out the medications were about the same in price. The first prescription would cost $43.72, and the second would cost a grand total of $6.67! I thought maybe the lady misunderstood what I was asking for, and I repeated the name and quantity of the pills I require. She had it right the first time. In all, I saved a whooping $78.79! How could my medication cost this much less at WalMart?

CVS Pharmacy is a much smaller retailer than WalMart, so naturally the markup on everything is higher. WalMart can afford to sell prescription drugs at much lower prices since they sell a wide variety of other items. CVS Pharmacy must rely on prescription drug sales to remain in business, but WalMart doesn't have to add a huge markup to the prescription drugs they sell.

If you have medical insurance and prescription drug coverage, by all means opt for convenience, but those of us who must pinch pennies because we aren't covered by insurance must shop around. If you didn't have medical insurance or prescription drug coverage, where would you rather shop for your meds? After finding out how inflated the prices are at CVS Pharmacy, I'll always shop at WalMart for all of my prescription medications. They filled my prescriptions fast, they were very friendly, and I saved enough money to fill my gas tank and buy some groceries. It was definitely worth a minute of my time to call and compare.

No comments: